Become a Mental Health First Aider and manage mental wellbeing in your workplace.
Around 1 in 4 of us experience mental health issues at any one time and as a result around 72 million working days are lost per year (according to the Centre for Mental Health).
This in-depth 2 day course looks into common mental health conditions and takes you through techniques designed to help those experiencing distress.
During the course, you cover topics such as recognising the signs and symptoms of mental health issues; helping employees/colleagues receive support and promoting mental health wellbeing in the workplace.
All in all, enabling you to support employees in distress, start productive mental health conversations and support your company with its mental health policy.
Find our upcoming open course dates above.
Over the 2 days, you’ll gain an understanding of mental health and the factors that affect wellbeing as well as symptoms of mental health issues, non-judgmental conversation techniques and access to further support.
You will cover:
- Mental Health & Wellbeing Overview
- Mental Health Stigma
- Types of Mental Ill Health
- Signs & Symptoms
- Stress Related Mental Health
- Benefits & Limitations of a Mental Ill Health Diagnosis
- Managing Your Own Wellbeing
- Role of a Mental Health First Aider
- Mental Health Conversations
- Identifying Mental Ill Health
- Planning for a Mental Health Conversation
- Creating an Action Plan
- Promoting Mental Wellness in the Workplace
- Protection & Resilience of Mental Health First Aider
Assessment and Certification
This Mental Health First Aider course involves a mixture of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. There are 2 multiple choice assessments at the end of the course.
On successful completion, all candidates will receive a Level 2 Introduction to First Aid for Mental Health certificate accredited by HABC.
We recommend you renew your certificate every 3 years to keep up with the latest practices & advice.
Who needs Mental Health First Aid training?
Every workplace be that a school, office, factory or construction site, is responsible for the welfare of their staff. A mental health first aid course is a great way to ensure you are looking after your staff’s mental wellbeing and therefore maintaining a healthy workforce.
The Mental Health First Aider course is designed for those in management positions such as:
- HR managers
- Line Managers
- Site managers
However, the course is also great for those looking to support mental health wellbeing within a workplace.
The Role of a Mental Health First Aider
The role of the mental health first aider is not to provide therapy!
A mental health first aider is there as a point of contact for employees experiencing emotional distress.
Therefore, your responsibilities include:
- Spotting early signs of mental ill health
- Starting supportive conversations
- Listening non judgmentally
- Assessing the risk of suicide or self harm
- Keeping yourself well and in good mental health
- Following your workplace mental health policies
- Communicating any mental health issues back to the appropriate person
- Ensuring confidentiality
- Keeping appropriate boundaries between yourself and employees