Become a Mental Health First Aid Champion and gain a greater awareness of workplace mental health!
Around 1 in 4 of us experience mental health issues at any one time and as a result 72 million working days are lost per year (according to the centre for mental health).
This 1 day course, accredited by MHFA England, takes you through spotting signs of mental illness and methods for providing initial support to those in need.
During the course, you cover topics such as stigma & discrimination, helping employees/colleagues receive support and building a mentally healthy workplace.
Find our upcoming open course dates above.
On the MHFA Champions course, you’ll cover general mental health issues, their symptoms and how to support employees experiencing distress.
The day is split into 2 sessions each lasting approximately ½ day:
- Mental Health First Aid: An Overview
- Mental Health and Stress in the Workplace
- Stigma and Discrimination
- Additional mental health issues
- Eating disorders
- Symptoms and warning signs
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- Applying the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- 1) Approach, Assess and Assist
- 2) Listen and Communicate non-judgmentally
- 3) Give support and information
- 4) Encourage professional help
- 5) Encourage other support
- Building a mentally healthy workplace
Assessment and Certification
This Mental Health First Aider course involves a mixture of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. Unlike other courses, there is no formal assessment at the end of the course.
Therefore, all candidates that complete the course will receive a Mental Health First Aid Champions certificate accredited by MHFA England.
On the course, you receive a:
- Mental health first aid manual
- Mental health action plan reference card
- Workbook including information on supporting your own mental health
Your certificate is valid for 3 years, after which time, you must retake a course to continue working as a Mental Health First Aid Champion.
Who needs Mental Health First Aid training?
Every workplace be that a school, office, factory or construction site, is responsible for the welfare of their staff. A mental health first aid course is a great way to ensure you are looking after your staff’s mental wellbeing and therefore maintaining a healthy workforce.
The Mental Health First Aider course is designed for those in management positions such as:
- HR managers
- Line Managers
- Site managers
However, the course is also great for those looking to support mental health wellbeing within a workplace.
Objectives of Mental Health First Aid
Your role is to offer non-judgmental support to those experiencing mental health issues.
Therefore, the objectives for mental health first aid include:
- Outlining common mental health issues, triggers and symptoms
- Giving the mental health first aider confidence to start difficult conversations surrounding mental health
- Increasing a candidate’s social awareness
- Providing information on how to guide an employee to further support