Become a Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion and support young people with mental ill health.
This 1 day course, accredited by MHFA England, takes you through techniques designed to help children and young adults experiencing distress.
During the day, you cover topics such as spotting common mental health issues, non-judgmental listening skills and finding the correct support for those in need.
All in all, giving you the know how to promote positive mental wellbeing amongst 8-18 year olds.
Find our upcoming open course dates above.
On the YMHFA Champions course, you build the skills and methods for supporting a young person in distress.
The course content is split into 2 sessions each lasting approximately ½ a day:
- Youth Mental Health First Aid: What’s it about?
- A background on mental health
- Stigma and discrimination
- Youth Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Eating disorders
Assessment and Certification
The Youth Mental Health First Aid Champions course involves a mixture of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. Unlike other courses, there is no formal assessment at the end of the day.
Therefore, all candidates that complete the course will receive a Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion certificate accredited by MHFA England.
Your certificate is valid for 3 years, after which time, you must retake a course to continue working as a Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion.
Who needs Mental Health First Aid (Youth) training?
Youth mental health first aid training suits those involved in teaching, working or living with young people up to 18 years old.
In particular, the Youth Mental Health First Aid Champions course is suitable for:
- Support staff
- Teaching assistants
- Youth workers
- Sports coaches
- Activity group leaders (i.e. Scout Leaders)
Objectives of Mental Health First Aid
Your role is to offer non-judgmental support to young people experiencing mental health issues.
Therefore, the objectives for youth mental health first aid include:
- Recognising the symptoms of mental health issues
- Supporting young people who are experiencing mental ill health
- Guiding young people towards the right professional support
- Promoting a culture of mental wellbeing
- Reducing stigma and discrimination around mental health issues
Benefits of Mental Health First Aid Champion (Youth) Course
- Greater awareness of young people’s mental health
- The ability to identify mental health issues
- Greater confidence in dealing with mental health problems
- Earlier intervention to prevent the issue from worsening
Additional Mental Health First Aid Courses
We are pleased to offer these additional mental health first aid courses: